You’re Unsure Something is Wrong

We all want to get along with our coworkers, and most of the time we do. Our jobs are challenging and complex, and we expect to have ups and downs. We don’t expect the challenges to become personal. Yet we all have experienced situations in which we have been confused, questioned ourselves, and withdrawn. You are not alone. Colorado State University has resources that may help.

Safety first

If the incident was or could become violent and you feel that you are in physical danger, contact local law enforcement. If, after contacting local law enforcement, you still are concerned about safety on campus or in your workplace, click the Tell Someone link on the university’s Office of Support and Safety Assessment page.

Talk with someone empathic and trained

Some concerns or questions may mandate reporting. The person with whom you speak can describe reporting requirements before you share anything with them.

Talk with your off-campus supervisor, on-campus supervisor, or department head (center’s director) if you feel comfortable doing so. If you don’t feel comfortable talking with your supervisors or department head, you can call the Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) or Human Resources Solutions Partners (see below).

Talk with one of the CSU groups listed below. The group with which you choose to talk will be based on your concern or question. You may think that your concern or question is minor or unique. However, others may have similar concerns. OEO and Human Resources (HR) are aware of the frequency and intensity of problems that are detrimental to a healthy workplace at CSU. When in doubt, talk with OEO or HR.

  • If your concern relates to discrimination, harassment, or sexual misconduct, contact Jennifer Mayhew in the Office of Equal Opportunity via email at or by calling (970) 491-5836.
  • If you are concerned about any other workplace conflict that seems unprofessional or possibly illegal, including bullying, contact Erik Hokanson at CSU Human Resources Solutions Partners via email or by calling (970) 491-0950.

Keep records

Keep notes detailing your concerns and questions. Recording the who, what, and when helps to determine frequency and intensity.

Additional resources

Additional professional and personal resources are available to all CSU employees, regardless of whether you work on-campus or off-campus. Research indicates that professional conflict often has negative effects on one’s personal life and health; therfore, seeking help is an appropriate action.  The two resources listed below are available to employees at all times, regardless of whether a complaint has been filed. The Ombuds is a confidential resource and is exempt from the reporting requirements of Title IX.

  • The Employee Assistance Program provides support and resources as you work through professional or personal challenges. Call them at (800) 497-9133 or (970) 491-1527.
  • The Office of the Ombudscan help you identify options for resolving professional or personal grievances. The Ombuds is neutral, confidential, informal, and independent. (970) 491-1527

Melissa Emerson was hired in January 2020 as the new university Ombuds. She can be contacted through the links above.