You Know Something is Wrong

This page will guide you when you have experienced a hostile act or problematic behavior in your workplace.

Safety first

If the incident was or could become violent and you feel that you are in physical danger, contact local law enforcement. If, after contacting local law enforcement, you still are concerned about safety on campus or in your workplace, click the Tell Someone link on the university’s Office of Support and Safety Assessment page.

Report the incident

The individuals and groups listed below are trained and can provide information regarding your rights and responsibilities. They also can suggest options and take steps to deal with the situation.

Tell your off-campus supervisor, on-campus supervisor, or department head (center’s director) if you feel comfortable doing so. If you don’t feel comfortable reporting the incident to your off-campus supervisor, on-campus supervisor, or department head, you can call the Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) or Human Resources Solutions Partners (see below).

Contact the University Grievance Officer. This office assists in the resolution of disputes and the administration of grievance actions.

File a complaint with one of the CSU group listed below. The group with which you file a complaint will be based on the nature of the incident you experienced.

  • If you experienced discrimination, harassment, or sexual misconduct, contact Jennifer Mayhew in the Office of Equal Opportunity via email at or by calling (970) 491-5836.
  • If you experienced any other workplace conflict that seems unprofessional or possibly illegal, including bullying, contact Erik Hokanson at CSU Human Resources Solutions Partners via email or by calling (970) 491-0950.

Keep records

Keep notes detailing the problem (dates, times, places, what was said or done, and who was present) and copies of emails, letters, or other documents that provide evidence of events.

After reporting

After reporting the incident, take advantage of the resources available to you as an employee of CSU, regardless of whether you work on-campus or off-campus. All employees have access to the Employee Assistance Program and the Office of the Ombuds. In virtually all instances, neither of these organizations has the authority to take direct action to stop the problem. However, they can provide help and resources to help you recover from the incident. Also, they are available to employees at all times, regardless of whether a complaint has been filed. The Ombuds is a confidential resource and is exempt from reporting requirements of Title IX.

  • The Employee Assistance Program provides support and resources as you work through professional or personal challenges. Call them at (800) 497-9133 or (970) 491-1527.
  • The Office of the Ombuds can help you identify options for resolving professional or personal grievances. The Ombuds is neutral, confidential, informal, and independent. (970) 491-1527

Melissa Emerson was hired in January 2020 as the new university Ombuds. She can be contacted through the links above.